George Municipality confirms that the following incidents have arisen following high winds overnight:
1. 28 informal structures have lost roofs.
2. Tree landed on 2 houses in New Dawn Park and 1 in Borcherds. George Fire Brigade is working on removing the trees and securing the houses.
3. George Fire Brigade has cut down and removed 12 trees that landed in roads around George.
4. Power outages are reported in Thembalethu, Wilderness Heights, Industrial area and Parkdene due to either trees on lines or wind damage.
5. Herolds Bay, Oubaai and Hansmoeskraal power restored.
6. Low voltage issues are being experienced in Rosemore, Heather Park.
7. George Fire Brigade is currently active at a veldfire in Hoekwil, Serpentine Heights and another Touwsranten area. There are structures under threat, and the fire brigade is monitoring the wind.
8. A total of 26 fires have been dealt with by George Fire Brigade
George Municipality has activated the Disaster Management Plan and requests the public to phone all emergencies through to 044 8016300 available 24 hours and FIRE ONLY 044 8016311.
Initial reports indicate that the predicted Weather System will land in Cape Town from 11am this morning with rainfall expected in George area tonight. High winds remain a problem. The public is requested to secure items around their homes, clear gutters and drains before the rain comes through and be cautious when travelling on roads. Please ensure that all pets are safe. George Municipal departments remain on high alert.Last published 07 June 2017